Andrew J. Gellman Group S.O.P.
Handling liquid nitrogen
Transfer from tank to dewar
- Liquid nitrogen is extremely cold (-320°F, -196°C, 77K) and can cause severe frostbite.
- Always use gloves and face protection when handling liquid nitrogen. Loose-fitting long sleeve clothing is recommended.
- Never use liquid nitrogen in a confined space. An oxygen-deficient atmosphere may occur.
- In case of skin contact, rinse with plenty of water. Do not remove clothes. Seek medical attention.
- In case of eye contact, rinse with plenty of water. Seek medical attention.
- In case of a major liquid spill, evacuate all personnel from the affected area. Do not enter the affected area without a self-contained breathing apparatus. Respirators WILL NOT function in an oxygen-deficient atmosphere.
Transfer from dewar to equipment
- Place dewar under dispensing line.
- Open valve on tank slowly.
- Fill dewar slowly. Never fill completely to the top.
- Replace foam cap on dewar.
- Remove foam cap from dewar.
- Pour slowly into equipment, using a funnel if necessary.
- Replace foam cap on dewar when not in use.